Sunday, May 8, 2011

Signs and Symptoms of a Stressed Out Cat


If you are a cat owner, you know that cats are emotional and sensitive creatures. Just like us, they can be lonely, stressed or depressed, but they do not express themselves the way we would.

When your cat sharpens her claws by attacking your sofa that may not seem like normal behavior to you but rest assured, it is perfectly normal. Cats have an innate need to sharpen their claws, even if they have been removed. A cat scratching post is a great way to deter kitty from your furniture. Scratching is also how cats mark their territory or anything they consider their property. If kitty kneads at your leg, consider it a compliment, she is marking you as hers.

Some signs that your cat may be in actual distress are; overeating, loss of appetite, excessive fearfulness or urinating outside of the cat liter box.

If any of these things are happening, take a look at your environment. Even a recent move can upset your feline friend. I had an incident last winter where my ten-year-old cat urinated outside of the litter box. In fact, he urinated right next to the box. In ten years, he had never urinated outside of the box! My first concern was that he had some sort of a bladder infection.

If a cat is having pain while urinating, he may associate that pain with the litter box and therefore go outside of the box. In order to rule this out, I took him to my vet immediately. (Actually, he went outside of the box one more time before I took him in). Thankfully, the vet found nothing wrong with him. She asked me if I had made any changes around my home or had any over-night visitors. I had not had any visitors, nor could I think of any recent changes. Then, it dawned on me…I made a cute Christmas bandana for him and placed it around his neck. Could he be so neurotic that this bandana upset him enough to urinate outside of his litter box?? Only one way to find out, I removed the bandana. Sure enough, after I removed the bandana he never went outside of the box again.

Other common stressors to cats are; any new addition to your family-furry or otherwise, a change in your work schedule, even loud noises such as fireworks. (My cats hate the 4th of July). If your cat is grooming more than usual, hiding more than usual, or attacking for no reason it may be stressed out. Pay attention to your cat, she will often let you know what is bothering her.

Ask your vet for additional advice on keeping your cat stress free.

Leigh Adams is an avid dog owner and pet trainer. She is a frequent contributor to this Online Pet Supply Store. She recommends that all cat owners who have the room get a cat condo especially if the cat will be alone during the day to help keep the cat active and relive stress.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Leigh_Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment