Monday, May 9, 2011

Can Cats and Dogs Coexist?

I don't know about you, but I love both cats and dogs. I hate it when people ask "Are you a cat person or a dog person? There is no reason the two "enemies?" can't get along. Agreed, you have to supervise most of the time, at first, but give it time. My dogs love my cats now. Even the little fiesty Jack Russell plays very well with my felines. I believe the cats tolerate her, as best that a cat can, and they even let down their guard when they are around her.

Here are some tips to help tabby and fido to get along:

1. Don't ever sic your dog on anything. They will take it as an invitation to mull the cat too.

2. Let tabby defend herself and believe me, your dog will have a new found respect for her. ( We once had a golden retriever that was scared to death of our little alley cat because he backed the dog into a corner hissing and clawing like there was no tomorrow. Poor dog never got over it!)

3. Give lots of love to both evenly. Remember cats get jealous, too.

4. If your dog gets aggressive, scold him. Let him know that aggression is unacceptable.

5. Both animals need toys. They can't be the same toy rather an appropriate dog toy and cat toy. I have found cat trees and condos are perfect for your cat. She can climb high and look down on the dog to prove her superiority. (Believe me, cats DO think they are superior!)

6. Let each have their own place to sleep. Whether it is a cat bed or dog bed or in bed with you!

7. Never feed them in the same room! Feeding together may work for some but it can cause problems down the road.

8. Have fun and play with both. They will get the idea that they can coexist.

If you try these tips and use common sense, there is no reason you can't enjoy the company of both your cat and dog. I wouldn't trade my menagerie for anything. I now have 2 dogs and 4 cats living under one roof and so far, everyone is getting along. I have no reason to think that they won't continue.

The auther is Janet Patterson owner of many animals over the years and haven for many stays. She now has 4 cats in the house and 14 in the barn. All neutered and vaccinated. Check out her website http://www.catsfurnitureloft.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Janet_Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment